When it comes to keeping our homes clean and livable, we all know that mold is the one thing that concerns us most. We’ve all watched HGTV and have seen the nightmare scenarios of mold infestation in a family’s home. So what exactly is mold, and how can we prevent it?
Actually, molds are part of the natural environment. It plays a vital role in our ecosystem by breaking down decaying organic matter, such as fallen leaves and trees. So it’s not a bad thing – unless it begins to grow indoors. Molds are tiny spores that are found floating in the air all around us. The problem is when the spores find a damp or wet spot to land on. Mold spores love dark, damp places; that’s why your basement is such a ‘hot’ spot for mold. It’s no secret that molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens, irritants, and potentially toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mold can cause allergic responses in sensitive individuals.
How Do You Get Rid of Mold?
Mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Controlling moisture in and under your home is the solution. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the moisture problem. If there has been significant water damage in your home, you may need to hire a professional. Discovery Home Report is trained and certified to do mold inspections if you have any concerns about your home. We think of our job as more than a way to make a living. We remember that each home we inspect, your family and children will be living there….and we want you to have comfort in knowing that your home is a safe and healthy environment to live.